bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

12

bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

hepta tor
Hello
I have an old laptop with no CD-ROM but can boot from USB. Given that
I only have access to a windows machine to burn an iso image, do you
know of an easy way (e.g. some windows programa) to create a bootable
OpenBSD USB stick which I can then use to install OpenBSD on my old
laptop?
-heptas

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Jiri B-2
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:51:29PM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:
> Hello
> I have an old laptop with no CD-ROM but can boot from USB. Given that
> I only have access to a windows machine to burn an iso image, do you
> know of an easy way (e.g. some windows programa) to create a bootable
> OpenBSD USB stick which I can then use to install OpenBSD on my old
> laptop?
> -heptas

Install OpenBSD on your usb stick on this "Windows" machine, copy
tarballs to this OpenBSD installation, plug your stick to other
machine, boot ramdisk from usb stick, load tarballs from usb stick,
you are done.

jirib

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

christopher sasarak
I had a similar situation with my laptop and found a solution in the FAQ:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemLive

Essentially what I had to do was boot from CD on the desktop system (using
an ISO for the desktop system's architecture) and then do an install of
OpenBSD onto the flash drive. After that, you can boot into the system from
the flash drive and then download the bsd.rd file for the architecture of
the laptop you want to install on from pub/OpenBSD/<RELEASE>/<ARCH>/bsd.rd
and save it to the root directory of the flash drive install. Then boot
from the flash drive on the laptop, when the boot prompt comes up, enter
the name of the bsd.rd that you downloaded and boot into the installer.

-Christopher Sasarak

On 2/11/13, christopher sasarak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I had a similar situation with my laptop and found a solution in the FAQ:
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemLive
>
> Essentially what I had to do was boot from CD on the desktop system (using
> an ISO for the desktop system's architecture)

That assumes that my windows machine can boot from a CD which is not
the case (I have no CD-ROM neither on my windows machine nor on the
machine where I want to install OpenBSD).
heptas

On 2/11/13, Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:51:29PM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:
>> Hello
>> I have an old laptop with no CD-ROM but can boot from USB. Given that
>> I only have access to a windows machine to burn an iso image, do you
>> know of an easy way (e.g. some windows programa) to create a bootable
>> OpenBSD USB stick which I can then use to install OpenBSD on my old
>> laptop?
>> -heptas
>
> Install OpenBSD on your usb stick on this "Windows" machine,

How to do that exactly from windows when I cannot boot OpenBSD on that machine?
-hepta

> copy
> tarballs to this OpenBSD installation, plug your stick to other
> machine, boot ramdisk from usb stick, load tarballs from usb stick,
> you are done.
>
> jirib

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Maximo Pech Jaramillo
> I only have access to a windows machine to burn an iso image, do you
> know of an easy way (e.g. some windows programa) to create a bootable
> OpenBSD USB stick

I think you should ask this on a windows-centric place.

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

ml-44
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:51:29PM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:
> Hello
> I have an old laptop with no CD-ROM but can boot from USB. Given that
> I only have access to a windows machine to burn an iso image, do you
> know of an easy way (e.g. some windows programa) to create a bootable
> OpenBSD USB stick which I can then use to install OpenBSD on my old
> laptop?
> -heptas

Hi Heptas,

Use vmware/qemu/any other similar software to install openbsd to your usb stick.
install52.iso can be used to boot your virtual machine.
Then copy everything in http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.2/amd64/ to, say, /5.2/amd64/ on the same usb drive.
(Do not forget to choose the right architecture, version and mirror).

Just that. You can use that drive as install media or as your primary working system, if you wish.
To use it as install media, enter "bsd.rd" at the boot prompt.

P.S. FAQ on the website and man pages are highly recommended and useful.
Read them before you start experimenting with OpenBSD.

Best regards,
Alex

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Stuart McMurray
For Windows, VirtualBox is free and should do the trick.
You'll probably need the extension pack.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

-Stuart

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 01:53:46PM +1300, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:51:29PM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:
> > Hello
> > I have an old laptop with no CD-ROM but can boot from USB. Given that
> > I only have access to a windows machine to burn an iso image, do you
> > know of an easy way (e.g. some windows programa) to create a bootable
> > OpenBSD USB stick which I can then use to install OpenBSD on my old
> > laptop?
> > -heptas
> >

> Hi Heptas,
>
> Use vmware/qemu/any other similar software to install openbsd to your usb stick.
> install52.iso can be used to boot your virtual machine.
> Then copy everything in http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.2/amd64/ to, say, /5.2/amd64/ on the same usb drive.
> (Do not forget to choose the right architecture, version and mirror).
>
> Just that. You can use that drive as install media or as your primary working system, if you wish.
> To use it as install media, enter "bsd.rd" at the boot prompt.
>

> P.S. FAQ on the website and man pages are highly recommended and useful.
> Read them before you start experimenting with OpenBSD.
>

> Best regards,
> Alex

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

brian
On 2/11/2013 5:51 PM, Heptas Torres wrote:
> Hello
> I have an old laptop with no CD-ROM but can boot from USB. Given that
> I only have access to a windows machine to burn an iso image, do you
> know of an easy way (e.g. some windows programa) to create a bootable
> OpenBSD USB stick which I can then use to install OpenBSD on my old
> laptop?
> -heptas

If windows has something like dd, maybe you can write the floppy image
to your usb.

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Stuart McMurray
Apparently Someone has written one
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Stuart McMurray

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Nicolai-8
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:55:30PM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:
> On 2/11/13, Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Install OpenBSD on your usb stick on this "Windows" machine,
>
> How to do that exactly from windows when I cannot boot OpenBSD on that machine?

If the laptop has a floppy drive, you can rawrite floppy52.fs to a floppy
disk.  The FTP mirrors have rawrite.exe in /pub/OpenBSD/5.2/tools.

Otherwise maybe you could try rawriting bsd.rd to a USB stick.

Nicolai

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Otto Moerbeek
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 09:05:13PM -0600, Nicolai wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:55:30PM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:
> > On 2/11/13, Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Install OpenBSD on your usb stick on this "Windows" machine,
> >
> > How to do that exactly from windows when I cannot boot OpenBSD on that machine?
>
> If the laptop has a floppy drive, you can rawrite floppy52.fs to a floppy
> disk.  The FTP mirrors have rawrite.exe in /pub/OpenBSD/5.2/tools.
>
> Otherwise maybe you could try rawriting bsd.rd to a USB stick.
>
> Nicolai

Don't forget netbooting. Most of the pc class machines can do that
these days.

        -Otto

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Jan Stary

why can't you?

How do you do it then, exactly?

On 2/12/13, Maximo Pech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I only have access to a windows machine to burn an iso image, do you
>> know of an easy way (e.g. some windows programa) to create a bootable
>> OpenBSD USB stick
>>

> I think you should ask this on a windows-centric place.

Well I guess not many write tools in Windows for OpenBSD...
I was looking for tools like
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/,
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/,
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
that would work with OpenBSD images (basically something like select
image, select USB drive, burn, and boot), but they only work for
Linux. As far as I see from this thread there are no such tools that
work for creating bootable USB disks from windows. Anyways, some good
tips were mentioned on this thread to address the issue.
-heptas

On 2/12/13, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 11 23:55:30, [hidden email] wrote:
>> >
>> > Install OpenBSD on your usb stick on this "Windows" machine,
>>
>> How to do that exactly from windows when I cannot boot OpenBSD on that
>> machine?
>
> why can't you?

because I don't have an OpenBSD booting media (the laptop has no
CD-ROM, and I don't have bootable USB drive with OpenBSD - that's
where I'm trying to get to).
-heptas

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Heptas Torres wrote:

> On 2/12/13, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> How to do that exactly from windows when I cannot boot OpenBSD on that
>>> machine?
>> why can't you?
>
> because I don't have an OpenBSD booting media (the laptop has no
> CD-ROM, and I don't have bootable USB drive with OpenBSD - that's
> where I'm trying to get to).
> -heptas

If you want it easy and simple, just buy a USB floppy drive and one disk
- why make it more complicated?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

hepta tor
On 2/12/13, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 11 23:48:09, [hidden email] wrote:
>> On 2/11/13, christopher sasarak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I had a similar situation with my laptop and found a solution in the
>> > FAQ:
>> > http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#flashmemLive
>> >
>> > Essentially what I had to do was boot from CD on the desktop system
>> > (using
>> > an ISO for the desktop system's architecture)
>>
>> That assumes that my windows machine can boot from a CD which is not
>> the case (I have no CD-ROM neither on my windows machine nor on the
>> machine where I want to install OpenBSD).

> How do you do it then, exactly?

In case of Linux images with one of the tools I mentioned in one of my
-h

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Scott McEachern-2
On 02/12/13 08:10, Heptas Torres wrote:

> On 2/12/13, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> That assumes that my windows machine can boot from a CD which is not
>>> the case (I have no CD-ROM neither on my windows machine nor on the
>>> machine where I want to install OpenBSD).
>> How do you do it then, exactly?
>>
> In case of Linux images with one of the tools I mentioned in one of my
> -h

Oh for pete's sake, it's 2013.  Go to your local computer store and
spend (at most) $20 dollars on an optical drive.  Install the damn thing
on your Winbox, follow the many directions already posted here, and be
done with it.

It's not rocket surgery and optical drives really do come in handy. And
they're dirt cheap.

Or, save the $20 and install VirtualBox like people have suggested.

Just end this stupid thread because you're talking in circles.

--
Scott McEachern

https://www.blackstaff.ca

Re: bootable OpenBSD USB stick from windows?

Andres Perera-4
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Heptas Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/12/13, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> How to do that exactly from windows when I cannot boot OpenBSD on that
>>> machine?
>>
>> why can't you?
>
> because I don't have an OpenBSD booting media (the laptop has no
> CD-ROM, and I don't have bootable USB drive with OpenBSD - that's
> where I'm trying to get to).
> -heptas

install qemu (does it run on windows?) or virtualbox, boot the
official iso on it, mount usbkey from the qemu obsd instance, install
to that

that gives you a bootable usbkey with openbsd on it without having to
possess more than one system and without buying an optical drive

there's been many threads like these in the past btw. whatever

12