Quantcast

NEW: MariaDB

Brad Smith-14
Here is a new port of MariaDB.

MariaDB is a fork of MySQL maintained in the open. The development
environment is so much better than what has become of MySQL AB since
Oracle took over Sun. They deal with security issues in a much better
manner and don't try to hide the tickets or any details regarding
the issues. Bugs are fixed much quicker and tickets in general are
dealt with in a much better manner. MariaDB 5.5 will replace the
current MySQL 5.1 port for the next release.

Here is the port and a diff to adjust the tree to move over to
MariaDB. The only port I haven't touched is xmysql as it doesn't
build with newer MariaDB or MySQL. It's old unmaintained cruft
and I'm planning on removing it.

http://comstyle.com/ports/mariadb/

If you're a MySQL user or have expressed interest in MariaDB
please test and provide any feedback regarding testing and/or
the port.

believed to be clean.

Re: NEW: MariaDB

Giovanni Bechis-6
On 03/23/13 02:55, Brad Smith wrote:

> Here is a new port of MariaDB.
>
> MariaDB is a fork of MySQL maintained in the open. The development
> environment is so much better than what has become of MySQL AB since
> Oracle took over Sun. They deal with security issues in a much better
> manner and don't try to hide the tickets or any details regarding
> the issues. Bugs are fixed much quicker and tickets in general are
> dealt with in a much better manner. MariaDB 5.5 will replace the
> current MySQL 5.1 port for the next release.

Have you considered the few incompatibilities between MySQL and MariaDB ?
For example:
- select unix_timestamp('x') will output NULL instead of 0
- show processlist will give a different output
- The IGNORE directive does not ignore all errors
- The slow query log has more information about the query, which may be a problem if you have a script which parses the slow query log
https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/

 Cheers
  Giovanni

Re: NEW: MariaDB

Stuart Henderson
On 2013/03/25 19:42, William Yodlowsky wrote:

> On 25 March 2013 at 9:52, Giovanni Bechis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 03/23/13 02:55, Brad Smith wrote:
> > > Here is a new port of MariaDB.
> > >
> > > MariaDB is a fork of MySQL maintained in the open. The development
> > > environment is so much better than what has become of MySQL AB since
> > > Oracle took over Sun. They deal with security issues in a much better
> > > manner and don't try to hide the tickets or any details regarding
> > > the issues. Bugs are fixed much quicker and tickets in general are
> > > dealt with in a much better manner. MariaDB 5.5 will replace the
> > > current MySQL 5.1 port for the next release.
> > >
> > Have you considered the few incompatibilities between MySQL and MariaDB ?
> > For example:
> > - select unix_timestamp('x') will output NULL instead of 0
> > - show processlist will give a different output
> > - The IGNORE directive does not ignore all errors
> > - The slow query log has more information about the query, which may be a problem if you have a script which parses the slow query log
> > https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
>
> I'd also throw out considering percona-server if we're going to look
> at alternatives...

It would be nice if the various forks would split off the server
and pool resources on a common client library..

Re: NEW: MariaDB

Brad Smith-14
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 09:55:07PM -0400, Brad Smith wrote:

> Here is a new port of MariaDB.
>
> MariaDB is a fork of MySQL maintained in the open. The development
> environment is so much better than what has become of MySQL AB since
> Oracle took over Sun. They deal with security issues in a much better
> manner and don't try to hide the tickets or any details regarding
> the issues. Bugs are fixed much quicker and tickets in general are
> dealt with in a much better manner. MariaDB 5.5 will replace the
> current MySQL 5.1 port for the next release.
>
> Here is the port and a diff to adjust the tree to move over to
> MariaDB. The only port I haven't touched is xmysql as it doesn't
> build with newer MariaDB or MySQL. It's old unmaintained cruft
> and I'm planning on removing it.
>
> http://comstyle.com/ports/mariadb/
>
> If you're a MySQL user or have expressed interest in MariaDB
> please test and provide any feedback regarding testing and/or
> the port.

Updated tarball provided with some changes after some feedback
and an updated diff against a more up to date ports tree.

believed to be clean.

Re: NEW: MariaDB

joshua stein-3
(e-mailing ports@ since my previous private reply seems to have
been ignored)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 at 21:55:07 -0400, Brad Smith wrote:

> Here is the port and a diff to adjust the tree to move over to
> MariaDB. The only port I haven't touched is xmysql as it doesn't
> build with newer MariaDB or MySQL. It's old unmaintained cruft
> and I'm planning on removing it.
>
> http://comstyle.com/ports/mariadb/
>
> If you're a MySQL user or have expressed interest in MariaDB
> please test and provide any feedback regarding testing and/or
> the port.

I'm running with this on amd64 as a drop-in replacement for a
previous mysqld installation with a few databases.

One issue with the port is that its MASTER_SITES is only one host in
.ie.  You should probably add at least the one US mirror:

MASTER_SITES=   http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mariadb/${DISTNAME}/kvm-tarbake-jaunty-x86/ \
                http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/mariadb/${DISTNAME}/kvm-tarbake-jaunty-x86/

As far as a drop-in replacement for the old MySQL goes, I
uninstalled mysql-server-5.1.68 and installed mariadb-server.  It
started up fine, but in the logs it complained that I needed to run
mysql_upgrade, which I did and seemed to go fine.  That should
probably be in an INSTALL message for those migrating.

Next, mysqld only listened on IPv6, with the default my.cnf
installed from mariadb:

$> netstat -an | grep 3306
tcp6         0      0  *.3306                 *.*                    LISTEN

That seems broken.  My stuff is configured to connect to
127.0.0.1:3306 which was reachable on the previous default for
mysql-server:

$> netstat -an | grep 3306
tcp          0      0  *.3306                 *.*                    LISTEN

If I manually specify "bind-address = 127.0.0.1" in my.cnf, it
works, but the default should probably be inet, if not both inet and
inet6.

Re: NEW: MariaDB

Brad Smith-14
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:52:13AM +0100, Giovanni Bechis wrote:

> On 03/23/13 02:55, Brad Smith wrote:
> > Here is a new port of MariaDB.
> >
> > MariaDB is a fork of MySQL maintained in the open. The development
> > environment is so much better than what has become of MySQL AB since
> > Oracle took over Sun. They deal with security issues in a much better
> > manner and don't try to hide the tickets or any details regarding
> > the issues. Bugs are fixed much quicker and tickets in general are
> > dealt with in a much better manner. MariaDB 5.5 will replace the
> > current MySQL 5.1 port for the next release.
> >
> Have you considered the few incompatibilities between MySQL and MariaDB ?

Yes, downstream projects will have to adjust as necessary for the few minor
differences.

believed to be clean.

Re: NEW: MariaDB

Brad Smith-14
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 07:42:43PM -0400, William Yodlowsky wrote:

> On 25 March 2013 at 9:52, Giovanni Bechis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 03/23/13 02:55, Brad Smith wrote:
> > > Here is a new port of MariaDB.
> > >
> > > MariaDB is a fork of MySQL maintained in the open. The development
> > > environment is so much better than what has become of MySQL AB since
> > > Oracle took over Sun. They deal with security issues in a much better
> > > manner and don't try to hide the tickets or any details regarding
> > > the issues. Bugs are fixed much quicker and tickets in general are
> > > dealt with in a much better manner. MariaDB 5.5 will replace the
> > > current MySQL 5.1 port for the next release.
> > >
> > Have you considered the few incompatibilities between MySQL and MariaDB ?
> > For example:
> > - select unix_timestamp('x') will output NULL instead of 0
> > - show processlist will give a different output
> > - The IGNORE directive does not ignore all errors
> > - The slow query log has more information about the query, which may be a problem if you have a script which parses the slow query log
> > https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
>
> I'd also throw out considering percona-server if we're going to look
> at alternatives...

I want to keep the ports tree with one MySQL implementation as we have had
all along. MariaDB already includes Percona's XtraDB and some other features.
With more coming in over time plus its own features and improvements such
as the MyISAM performance improvements, Aria and other new storage engines.

believed to be clean.

Re: NEW: MariaDB

Brad Smith-14
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 09:55:07PM -0400, Brad Smith wrote:

> Here is a new port of MariaDB.
>
> MariaDB is a fork of MySQL maintained in the open. The development
> environment is so much better than what has become of MySQL AB since
> Oracle took over Sun. They deal with security issues in a much better
> manner and don't try to hide the tickets or any details regarding
> the issues. Bugs are fixed much quicker and tickets in general are
> dealt with in a much better manner. MariaDB 5.5 will replace the
> current MySQL 5.1 port for the next release.
>
> Here is the port and a diff to adjust the tree to move over to
> MariaDB. The only port I haven't touched is xmysql as it doesn't
> build with newer MariaDB or MySQL. It's old unmaintained cruft
> and I'm planning on removing it.
>
> http://comstyle.com/ports/mariadb/
>
> If you're a MySQL user or have expressed interest in MariaDB
> please test and provide any feedback regarding testing and/or
> the port.

http://comstyle.com/ports/mariadb/mariadb_ports.diff

I have provided an updated diff against the ports tree. Looking
for any last minute testing and feedback before getting this in.

believed to be clean.

Re: NEW: MariaDB

Giovanni Bechis-6
On 04/12/13 06:23, William Yodlowsky wrote:
> Yes, after doing some homework I agree... and a bunch of other projects
> have moved or are moving the same way:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB#Prominent_users

Not exactly, OpenSUSE 12.3, for example has both MySQL and Mariadb, at this moment we are not able to provide both packages.
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/suse/i586/
 Cheers
  Giovanni